Leoforos Stadium
"Apostolos Nikolaidis"
Almost all photographs featured on this page (except for the fourth) are presented in smaller size. You may enlarge any of them by simply clicking on it.
Capacity: 16,620 (seated)
The stadium is located in central Athens, on Alexandras Avenue. It is on the north side of Lycabettus Hill that rises over the city centre.

Being so, access to "Apostolos Nikolaidis" Stadium by public transport is very easy and, indeed, highly recommended, instead of using a private car in the sometimes chaotic centre of Athens:
Stadium fact sheet
Bus - There is no use listing all the bus lines that serve "Apostolos Nikolaidis". Just ask for any bus going to Alexandras (or Kifissias Avenue, which is only 500m away from the stadium). However, your best chance when in central Athens would be to use a trolley bus (yellow colour - #7, #8 and #14 stop right outside the stadium).

Metro - It is by far the most convenient way to get to the ground, as "Ambelokipi" station of line 3 is only 200m away.
Built in: 1922 (Latest redevelopment in 2001)
Record attendance: 29,665 (Panathinaikos FC vs FC Bayern Munich - on 18/10/1968)
Home of: Panathinaikos FC (Superleague)
More data: The stadium's official name is "Apostolos Nikolaidis", after an old chairman of the club. Most people, however, call it Leoforos Stadium. This name derives from its location on Alexandras Avenue, as Leoforos in Greek means Avenue. Some also refer to it just as Panathinaikos Stadium (careful not to confuse it with the all-marble Panathenaic Stadium, where the 1st modern Olympics were held in 1896).

"Apostolos Nikolaidis" Stadium holds a very important place in the history of Greek football. The first stand was built in 1928, and for almost 50 years it hosted the majority of big matches in domestic and international competitions. It was the first to have floodlights installed (1938) and the first with a grass pitch (1958). It was the home of the Greek National Team for many years.
It is worth noting that the first indoor hall in Greece was constructed below the stands of the stadium, in 1959. It has a capacity of 1,500 and is located below the east curve of Leoforos. Everyone knows it by its nickname: the "Indian's tomb". It was called that by journalists during its inaugural ceremony, as it reminded them of the namesake film by Fritz Lang that was featured in cinemas at that time. The two photos below (which you may enlarge by clicking on them) are quite telling as to the reason why this nickname stayed with the hall all these years!
Panathinaikos left Leoforos in 1984 and moved to the Olympic Stadium. The club returned to their home ground in 2000, following an upgrading that cost €7 million. They left again in 2005 before temporarily returning in 2007. However, time is relentless: Panathinaikos finally left their aging stadium in the summer of 2008. Leoforos Stadium will be demolished and the area turned into a park. The new stadium of Panathinaikos will be constructed in Votanikos, in the industrial area of Eleonas. Check out all the updates on this story in the News section.

The ownership of "Apostolos Nikolaidis" Stadium is not a straightforward issue. The land belongs to the City of Athens. Panathinaikos AO amateur club (out of which the professional football club was founded in 1979) were given the free "right of use" for 90 years in 1922.
Close this window, or (if you came here from another site) go to the main page of stadia.gr. Hosted by isol.gr
"Apostolos Nikolaidis" Stadium in Athens - Click to enlarge!
The north stand (gates 1-2-3-4-5) with the VIP section - Click to enlarge!
The east curve (gates 6-7) - Click to enlarge!
View of a packed "Apostolos Nikolaidis" in the 1970s
The "Indian's Tomb" - Click to enlarge!
The "Indian's Tomb" - Click to enlarge!
The south stand (gates 8-9-10-11-12) with the press booths and the new roof that was added in 2003 - Click to enlarge!
The west curve (gate 13), home of Panathinaikos ultras - Click to enlarge!