data: The ground on which Xanthi Stadium now stands was used as
a football field since the 1920's by Orpheas Xanthi ("ancestor"
of Xanthi A.O.). The stadium started to take its current form in 1970.
The latest major modification took place in 1989 (year of promotion
of the local club in the 1st Division), when the large south stand
was constructed. The stadium used to have a capacity of 12,000 untill
1998, when seats were installed on the roofed stand. In 2000 it was
fully covered with seats (reducing its capacity to 9,500). At the
same time, the stadium floodlights were installed.
One might wonder about the two different colours used for the seats.
The answer is very simple: The club's original colours were red and
white. However, in the early '90s Xanthi A.O. was sold to the Skoda
motor company, who added its name to that of the club. The colour
of Skoda is green (the shirts of the team also changed from red-and
white to green-and-white). So, most of the stands are green, but the
west curve is red - a reminder of the club's past.