data: Prosfyghika Stadium takes its name from the district in
which it is built. A free translation would be "Area of the
Refugees". Following the Asia Minor Disaster of 1922, refugees
settled in this part of Patras. Athletes of the club Apollon Smyrni
(now "Izmir") founded a new club: Olympiakos Patras. They
created this football ground, which was initially named after the
Prosfyghika would go on to become the "football heart"
of Patras for the next 50 years. In 1947 it took the form it had
until 2000, with standing terraces around the pitch. It was used
by almost all the clubs in the city, namely Olympiakos Patras, Thyella,
Patraikos, Apollon Patras and Aris Patras. These were all disbanded
by the military junta (1967-1974) to create a more "right-wing"
club, APS Patrai, which also played in Prosfyghika.
The ground nearly became a housing estate in 1984, but it was bought
and "rescued" by the Greek State. It was clear, however,
that Prosfyghika was a relic of the past and could not serve its
purpose any more. It took some more years, but in 1998 it was decided
that the stadium would be reformed. Works were completed in 2000
and essentially created a new football ground. They included a new
pitch, lighting on four pillars, two light metal stands with
plastic seats that run along the length of the pitch, service areas,
The ground was then mainly used by 2nd Division Patraikos FC. However,
following the club's merger with Panahaiki FC in 2004, Prosfyghika
slowly fell into disrepair. It is now in a derelict state and local
clubs can no longer use it.
The stadium is owned by the Patras Association of Football Clubs.