stadia.gr/forum Forum Index stadia.gr/forum
Εδώ μιλάμε για τα πάντα. Από Καλατράβα μέχρι… Καλομοίρα!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The upgraded Athens Olympic Stadium
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    stadia.gr/forum Forum Index -> General English forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admin
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: The upgraded Athens Olympic Stadium Reply with quote

You may discuss here anything regarding the Athens Olympic Stadium. See also the relevant thread from the old forum: http://stadia.proboards16.com/index.cgi?board=engstadia&action=display&num=1048052542.
CheeseburgerParadise

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I just ask: how recent are the photos that appear in this newspaper?

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/news/files_521064KathiLev&xml/&aspKath/extra.asp?fdate=21/02/2004
Admin
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 days old max.
Christos 7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is gonna be to close. Shocked

Anyway, I would really have loved to see all of Calatrava's works realised as a whole. It would have been spectacular. Sad
UWG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be close...very close..too close
GROUND WORKS
What I am worried about is what else they are going to cut back on from the latest plans that they have put forward. In my opinion the ground-works/landscaping surrounding the facilities at OAKA will be finished in time exception maybe the ones immediately around the stadium where they are putting together the roof. Until they move them into position I don’t see how they can begin working on those projects.
VELODROME
Speaking about roofs, what’s the deal with the roof at the Velodrome?????? It looks as if its ready to be put into position. I can see they have started work on the footings where the roof will finnaly rest but it seems as if there is some kind of holdup (Problems with soil maybe who knows)....unless of course they feel that comfortable about the timeline and are taking their time to insure no mistakes happen. But here again, having the roof of the Velodrome where it is today is holding up work on the landscaping and the other half of the Velodrome which is nothing but dirt..
AGORA
I have read the newspaper articles in Kathimerine and other newspapers about the delays with the Agora...which again in my opinion is a project that could have started back in August of 03 when the rest of the works at the OAKA started.....contrary to many of the comments that IOC members and Greek politicians have said in the past I believe that this project will be delivered in time for the Olympics. However, judging from the pictures that were available at the Greek forum about this same topic...there seemed to be only one crew digging holes and making the footings where the arches of the Agora will be placed....why not have 2 or 3 crews doing the same thing so the project can move on?????

These comments are merely food for thought and in no way am I been negative about the Olympics (believe it or not)....besides I have faith in the engineers and project managers that have taking charge of this mammoth project.
UWG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How true is it that there will be tunnels connecting some of the sports complexes at the OAKA so athletes don’t have to walk around the grounds of the OAKA????

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of what the glass panels that will cover the Olympic stadium will look like...Attached is the article that accompanied the picture…although its old news that PALRAM got the contract to make the panels the article provides some pretty interesting technical details about the panels.

http://www.theglazine.com/newsarchive/news030204.html
UWG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to put my name on the previous post....sorry
CheeseburgerParadise

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!
If those photos are at most two weeks old then - despite all the condemnation reserved for the the organisers, sporting and civil service bureaucrats, politicians and engineers and contractors for their procrastination, red-tape and inept handling of matters so far - there are also going to be some near-herioc tales to tell of equally dedicated and supremely professional and talented individuals who take what we see in those photos and make an OIlympic venue of it.

I just hope that those who put in the work to get things done on time get the credit they deserve....though I suppose this may be too much to ask given domestic politics and the politicing within the organising committee.

As UWG pointed out, the landscaping may suffer in the rush to complete the venues. I mean, workable stadia are absolutely necessary. The aesthetics that surround them can be redesigned and reduced in scope. This is a shame because it's a mixture of grandiose projects and the little touches that make the atmosphere.

Let's hope for the best!
UWG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of Ironic...but in a way its probably a good thing that they had not started to plant all the trees and shrubs otherwise they would have been killed by the snowstorms...I bet that all the trees planted around the agora are probably dead unless they took some kind of precautionary measure before the snowfall or the type of tree they planted is immune to snow and cold weather... Very Happy Very Happy
UWG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am including this link for those that are interested in keeping up with the progress of the construction at the Olympic Stadium...
http://www.bung-ag.de/stadion.htm
peter22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the pictures of the updated Athens 2004 stadium I can't help but worry. The stadium still looks like it has a lot of work to be done. We only have about 4 months left. I dont know if we can make it. does anyone have any kind of a percentage of how much of the upgrading has been done? I hope Karamalis keeps up to his promise of speeding up Olympic preparations.
AEK Australia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been really struggling with the lack of pictures coming in for the main stadium...... And the webcam being offline is not easing my apprehention!!
gocaps75

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AEK. I did not know there was a webcam. Can you give me the web address. Thanks.
AEK Australia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the URL: http://www2.bung-ag.de/webcams_bung/archiv/fset_main.htm but it is now coming up with an error message. It only functioned till the 3rd March........ If you can read Greek they just posted some new pics in the Greek section.
Christos 7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, the scales of the roof are starting to go on. Wink Take a look at the new web page of stadia.gr http://www.stadia.gr/oaka-new.html or if you can get by, check out the Greek section of the forums also.

Calatrava himself already said the hardest part is finished. Watch it all unfold now. Cool

----------------

www.greeksoccer.com
Ziaka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris lets hope it will go smoothly from now on. According to news reports the Olympic Stadium should be available in mid-July. That's one month before the opening ceremonies. It's cutting it way too close. Hope there are no unforseen problems.

--------------------------------------

Greek Soccer TV Schedules:

http://sports.phantis.com/soccer/games/TV_schedules.html
Reaper the pure

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plan, there is the main stadium and two smaller ones side by side similar in style to the main stadium. Why is only one of them built? Question
Admin
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one on the far left is the velodrome, which will be ready as planned. The other one on its right is the proposed roof for the open-air swimming pool. It's the plan proposed by Calatrava, which will not be implemented. They will instead use a much simpler design (if they make it on time, since it is one of the 2-3 projects whose completion is currently in question).
AEK Australia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Reaper, It seems that the second small stadium you are seeing is the swimming pool complex. It was initially going to not have a roof, as Barcelona and Atlanta, but then the broadcasters requested one due to lighting etc. so i believe they were going to put one up, which is what you see in the plans, but due to time constraints they are now going to do something a little cruder, light putting a tarpoline on 4 pillars as a temporary solution, which wouldnt take too long to put together, better safe than sorry i guess!
Lucretius
Stadium Expert
Stadium Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behold!

Construction Photos, taken 18/3

http://users.auth.gr/~lvorgias/cons/Ypsilon.htm

In us forevermore....
Reaper the pure

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, now i see what all that fuss about the swimming pool roof was about. That is a shame... oh, well maybe it can still look good even if it is cheap. Lets hope it is not just an upside down trampoline.. Rolling Eyes
AEK Australia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure everything will look great. The major issues now is that the landscaping and rubbish from all the contruction is there to be seen. Once swept aside and everything is cleaned up, a whole lot of grass and trees put in, it will look fantastic. The great thing about the temporary roof they are putting in is that is going to be very wide open, so it will feel just like it's outdoors just with a bit of shade to keep the killer sun from frying the swimmers and the crowd. It's just a bit hard for people to visualise it with all the dirt from the construction everywhere.
Christos 7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lucretius"]Behold!

Construction Photos, taken 18/3

http://users.auth.gr/~lvorgias/cons/Ypsilon.htm

bravo!!! efharisto file.
Nekka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos. Bring on the greenery! It has been a long and anxious wait to see some trees planted. From the other completed venues - namely Nikea Weightlifting Hall and Ano Liossia Hall - I have seen little in the way of landscaping. On the contrary, I have seen lots of concrete and tarmac. Does anyone have a recent photo depicting Nikea Hall and its surronds? I understand it is a very built-up area. Is the landscaping for OAKA still being scaled back as previously mentioned? Is Athens2004 still delivering the original number of trees and shrubs for Athens?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    stadia.gr/forum Forum Index -> General English forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: