stadia.gr/forum Forum Index stadia.gr/forum
Εδώ μιλάμε για τα πάντα. Από Καλατράβα μέχρι… Καλομοίρα!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anything and everything related to Greece and Greeks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    stadia.gr/forum Forum Index -> General English forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lamp Kiddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Anything and everything related to Greece and Greeks Reply with quote

I chanced upon this story at CNN.com today:

Surprise win in Berlin film fest

BERLIN, Germany (Reuters) -- A moving drama about the lasting impact of the systematic rape of Bosnian women by Serb soldiers during the Balkans conflict was the surprise winner of the Berlin film festival's top prize

"War in Bosnia was over some 13 years ago and yet war criminals Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic still live in Europe freely," said Zbanic, whose film spotlights the hushed-up issue of the rape of 20,000 women during the 1992-1995 siege of Sarajevo.

"They've not been captured for organizing the rape of 20,000 women in Bosnia (and) killing 100,000. This is Europe and no one is interested in capturing them. I hope that this will change your viewing on Bosnia," she added to warm applause.

You can read all at
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/18/berlin.fest.reut/index.html

Compare the above with how it was reported in the Greek media:

Η Grbavica, μία ταινία της Τζάσμιλα Ζμπάνιτς για τα μεταπολεμικά τραύματα της Βοσνίας - Ερζεγοβίνης απέσπασε το Σάββατο τη Χρυσή Αρκτο στην 56η Μπερλινάλε.

Η ταινία, που αποτελεί συμπαραγωγή Αυστρίας, Γερμανίας, Βοσνίας και Κροατίας, εκτυλίσσεται στο μεταπολεμικό Σαράγεβο και αφηγείται τη ζωή μιας ανύπαντρης μητέρας μαζί με την 12χρονη κόρη της μετά το τέλος του εμφυλίου στη Βοσνία - Ερζεγοβίνη.

http://www.in.gr/news/article.asp?lngEntityID=685509&lngDtrID=253

Notice how in the Greek media the readers are told nothing about the essence of the movie, but rather that the production was an " Austrian,German,Bosnian,Croatian" collaboration.... in other words a biased account of what actually occured.

I can understand Greek Anti-Americanism, but I find it difficult and shameful to accept why the Greeks are so forgiving of Serb crimes. The headlines in Greece miss no opportunity to scream American abuse of prisoners of war, but don't say a word about the mass slaughter and rape of innocent civilians next to them.
Omicron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First:

The in.gr article is translation of Reuters and associated press articles.

Second:
The cnn article is the opinion of the writer about the movie. The in.gr is a news article about Berlin film festival winners.

Third:
You can’t criticise greeks generally because the greeks have many different opinions. All the greeks don't believe the same things. So don't stereotype. For example I haven't met greeks which are blinds of the crimes of the serbs and I live in Greece.

Fourth: I don't see the connection of the anti-americanism. (By the way, I am not anti-american).

and finally don't try to find things which doesn’t exists.

PS. The serbs are not the only one which had commit war crimes.
siakabetis
Stadium Expert
Stadium Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you do not like greeks, lamp kiddy, we don't care. we like ourselves Very Happy we are as much antiamericans like the rest of europeans and we will be until the fair solution of our greek island (CYPRUS). Not to forget who rcognised FYROM with the name that makes really mad
dimi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Lamp Kiddy

I am afraid you picked the wrong article for the conclusions that you are refering to. The particular article as it appeared at in.gr is just a news article presenting the winning movies in the festival.

The fact that the article does not include the particular interview quote from the director does not mean that it is biased towards or against the movie itself or the story that it talks about.

Regarding the Yugoslavian war, I am afraid that the blame is thrown only in one direction by the mainstream media. There are horrifying crimes of war committed by both sides, however I do not see or hear (on CNN or elsewhere) anybody crying about the people escaping from the other side.

In any case you are always welcome to post your opinion in this forum. As you see some of us can easily get offended but do not be deterred by it Wink
exitmusician

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely agree with what Dimi says, and especially with his last comment. Some of us are way too sensitive when it comes to discussing such issues and unfortunately demonstrate it in a wrong manner. But, as Dimi said, don't let it deter you from writing.
SaTaN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything and everything related to Greece and Greeks Reply with quote

Lamp Kiddy wrote:

I can understand Greek Anti-Americanism, but I find it difficult and shameful to accept why the Greeks are so forgiving of Serb crimes. The headlines in Greece miss no opportunity to scream American abuse of prisoners of war, but don't say a word about the mass slaughter and rape of innocent civilians next to them.

I see your point there.

Bear in mind however, that the same is the case with the US/Western Europian media with regard to the crimes that Bosnian/Croatian and/or Albanian forces have been the perpetrators of againt the Serbs.

I have so far never come across an article referring to the above in any of the mainstream media portals.

It comes as no surprise to me really that this is the case. The media are biased to the core and that's how they are meant to be in order to carry out their main goal which is to manipulate the masses. It's not lke we discovered something new.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    stadia.gr/forum Forum Index -> General English forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: