stadia.gr/forum Forum Index stadia.gr/forum
Εδώ μιλάμε για τα πάντα. Από Καλατράβα μέχρι… Καλομοίρα!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The upgraded Athens Olympic Stadium
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    stadia.gr/forum Forum Index -> General English forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UWG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Nekka
YES...they will cut back on the amount of trees and other greenery that they will plant. I think that they had originally said something like 12,000 -15,000 and they scaled it back to about 7,000.
......................................................................................................

The link shows the revised plans of the grounds at O.A.K.A.
http://www.sportsnet.gr/eyde03/ELL.htm
UWG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are new pictures from taken on 3/21/04.
http://users.auth.gr/~lvorgias/cons/Ypsilon.htm
Gocaps75

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it doesn't look to good for the outdoor swiming pool. A british newspaper stated that the plans for the roof have been thrown away because they will not be ready in time for the games, and the seats that are being installed don't look like they will be ready for the games either. What are they going to do? Have any plans for a new roof been aproved yet? Not to mention the Olympic stadium who's roof won't be ready untill atleast 3 WEEKS befor the games! This Olympics are shaping up to be an embarassment to Greeks like me everywhere. I never wanted to admit it but I have to now. Sad
Ypsilon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gocaps75 wrote:
Not to mention the Olympic stadium who's roof won't be ready untill atleast 3 WEEKS befor the games! This Olympics are shaping up to be an embarassment to Greeks like me everywhere. I never wanted to admit it but I have to now. Sad

What's the big deal about it? It will be ready (meaning, fully functional) 3 weeks before the games. So what? As a Greek, you should know the reasons of this delay, and not reproduce the arguments of those who see nothing positive in our tremendous efforts to put things together and get them going.
Greeks are being presented worldwide as a stack of immature, irresponsible imbeciles, and no one seems to be eager to search the background of the mess regarding one of our 32 venues !!

So, you are free to feel embarrassed if you wish, but I tell you, this is not the way Greeks fight. Cheers! Wink
Gocaps75

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me restate what I said. I did not mean embarrasing but more frustrating and getting me mad. Ypsilon I don't know if you have ever read some of the Washington Post articles. But I am living in a city where the Greek Olympic commitee and the Olympics themselfs have just been trashed. It is very frustrating to hear them badmouthing your country like that. That is what I meant. But on the subject of the pool have they just decided to go with no roof and just so the swimming events in the afternoon?
Ypsilon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is one newspaper in the whole wide world, not to be trusted regarding anything that has to do with Greece, this is definitely the "Washington Post". This is a newspaper of lobbyists, not journalists.
I don't know about the U.S, but on intrernational issues, "objectivity" is an unknown word to this paper.
Just don't pay attention... Wink

On the subject of the swimming pool, schedules have not been fixed yet. Things are not tragic, anyway! You will be the first to know! Cool
Ziaka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For as long as I can remember Washington Post has been anti-Greek and pro-Turkey as far as their reporting is concerned. Nothing new under the sun. Any chance they can get to bash Greece, they will do it.
--------------------------------
Greek Soccer TV Schedules: http://sports.phantis.com/soccer/games/TV_schedules.html
PAOK Forum discussion: http://clubs.phantis.com/sports/index.php?showforum=7

Last edited by Ziaka on Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
aristidis
Stadium Expert
Stadium Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have already watched the news on CNN today (or yesterday, I'm not so sure) about Olympic Games in August and Calatrava's roof...
I just want to know if it is exactly what Americans think about Olympic Games and GREECE. You sleepers. (hey, do you know what does "Greece" or "Olympic Games" mean?)

HEY YOU, SLEEPERS
CU ON AUGUST!
LET'S F Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad CNN's OPINION
LET'S WRITE IT (unfortunately, you can't understand)

(it's for all these "people" who think that a small country cannot exist in the world, a small country which has created Olympic Games, Democracy and Sport/Olympic Spirit)
CU ON AUGUST!
UWG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Everybody
I am one of those people who think that the Olympics will be a success story for Greece but not necessarily the rest of the world...It's hard for people outside of Greece especially foreigners from countries that have a higher per capita income and higher standard of living (and by that I don’t mean that Greece is poor or that we don’t have a high standard of living) to realize the tremendous work that Greece has accomplished in the past 10 years. Many of the things like roads, bridges, the new airport and many other projects that have taken place in Greece in light of the Olympics are all things that the majority of the developed countries already have. So when they come and see them they wont really be impressed by the things that I mentioned above but rather the venues (Which are spectacular) and the Olympics fever that will be created once everything begins (Hands down the atmosphere that we will create during the Olympics will be like no other ever seen before). The foreigners that will be impressed by the roads and bridges and.. and..are those who have already been to Greece in the past. They will be shocked when they see the drastic changes that have taken place in all of Athens.
Arrow Gocaps75
The swimming pool roof will not be built. By the way, I read the article that you were talking about above and I was surprised to find out that the only things that they could complain about were stupid little nick knack shit that can be fixed in a matter of 1-2 weeks...they made a big deal about <the chairs> that can be put into place in about a week tops.....<the landscaping around the pool had not been done> which is one of the last things to be done at the hole O.A.K.A. grounds, again not a big deal....the one that cracked me up the most was that <the actual swimming pool was dirty>>.. Shocked Shocked..GIVE ME A BREAK…..I can clean that pool with a pressure washer and some cleaner in 1 day…..As far as the media, particularly some news papers and 24 hour news channels, I agree %110 with what our friend Ypsilon said...THEY ARE BIAST TOWARDS GREECE and will always be no matter what. Unfortunately though, the people that get their news from those outlets don’t know any better and when they come up to people like you and me they make comments that are not true…Anyway, that is a hole topic to itself....However, some of the things that foreign media say like the delays and the deadlines, which in other countries does not happen to the magnitude that it happens in Greece, they have a right to dog us out on them....
I will post this now before I write a book.. Laughing
Reaper the pure

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately Greece has pissed off the wrong countries of late.
Removing the English out of Athens was not popular with English heads of state, - =Cyprus being left to Turkish attack to secure a UK base on the Island.
I was born in London, Greeks are looked down upon unlike Turks or Italians and we were on the Allies side in the WWII and they weren't !!!
As one Greek told me on the net; the Australians will always follow their masters the English politically Shocked
UWG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that we have pissed them off because in order to that we would have to provoke them it's because we will not follow their demands and their sometimes ludicrous advice. Also, Greece is friends with just about everyone which is not to say the same about other countries. Unfortunately the Western ideology is that you are either with us or against us, Greece has always been pressured to pick a side on issues which it would rather choose its own side.
Gocaps75

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanna ask something. Why haven't they put the roof on the velodrome yet? Is it there just to look pretty. If it's done just put it on. I don't see why they havent put it on. It is right next to the velodrome.
aristidis
Stadium Expert
Stadium Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was constructed there, next to the Velodrome, just because it would do damage to the Velodrome, if it was constructed right above it.
It is going to be moved above it in a few days!
UWG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Gocaps75
Believe me if it was ready they would have put it into place because it's holding up the landscaping that needs to be done in its current place. Up until last week they were disassembling the support towers and gave it a last coat of paint....the foundations for it's final resting place are ready so it should not be too much longer until they start moving it into place....
Gocaps75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of the Olympic Stadium I'm a bit confused. Are they planning to build the entire roof then shift if over the stadium? Or are they going to do it before they put on the glass. Any idea on when this will happen?
Ypsilon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The glass panels will be assembled on the roof, after the two arches are shifted over the stadium.
UWG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Gocaps75
You wish has come true...they started moving the roof of the Velodrome I think yesterday...it should be in place in a few days because they are moving it 5 meters at a time..

Read this article and it will explain a lot of the questions that you have about both roofs (The one at the Olympic Stadium and the Velodrome) it's a very good article..

http://www.enr.com/news/bizLabor/archives/040322b.asp
Gocaps75

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article. Thanks, I learned a lot about how the construction and moving of both roofs are going to go.
Christos 7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would like to know, is why aren't they working on both sides of the Olympic Stadium? I almost had an orgasm when I saw the fish bones start to be put on, but wouldn't it make more sense to do both sides at the same time to finish faster?? Then it could be moved into place, then put on the glass and boom we are done ahead of schedule... We don't have the resources to do this? Rolling Eyes

PS Happy to hear about the Veledome. Cool It is also a good experience for the Olympic Stadium. Wink
UWG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Velodrome roof is in its final position. According to the people at the site the sliding process was a piece of cake...Now they can start the landscaping that is desperately needed around the area where the roof use to be...
......................................................................................................

Christos 7 wrote:
why aren't they working on both sides of the Olympic Stadium?

Actually they are..its just that the other half of the roof is a few weeks behind compared to the other half that has the support beams (psarokokala or fishbones) already installed ...Why they didn't start both halves simultaneously????? It's anybody’s guess....I think the reason is because at the very beginning they had some problems in the shipping of the pieces as they were coming from Italy and they also had some problems figuring out the proper way to weld the pieces that would make each individual arch...don't take my word though
Gocaps75

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you all heard that the IOC has said that everything at the Olympic stadium has to be done by the END OF JUNE!!! Are they crazy. That is an unrealistic time table. Expecialy since the date before was July 20th. We now have about 1 month less. What are the governments plans. Are people gonna be working literally 24 hours a day. Maybe the IOC did this to tell Athens 2004 to hurry up. Maybe they know something we don't. But having the stadium roof being shifted by April 28th at the latest, and the roof completed by the end of June is crazy! Shocked Shocked
UWG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]
Reaper the pure

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veladrome moving was amazing!
UWG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper the pure

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on lets keep the pics of the stadium coming in..The Greek forum has millions and it takes me a while to translate everybodies speeches;';,
Lets try and get this English forum more involved as most foreigners will check out this place to see progress.. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    stadia.gr/forum Forum Index -> General English forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: