stadia.gr/forum Forum Index stadia.gr/forum
Εδώ μιλάμε για τα πάντα. Από Καλατράβα μέχρι… Καλομοίρα!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Negative Publicity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    stadia.gr/forum Forum Index -> General English forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Negative Publicity Reply with quote

I can't believe what rubbish some people write.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/a/2004/04/05/SPG1060M1J1.DTL
yianis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Negative Publicity Reply with quote

I have to say that in the beginning of the article, I started to take him serious enough to be mad Evil or Very Mad , as I kept reading (with reservations Rolling Eyes ), I realized that this guy is a joke Laughing and I was laughing Laughing Laughing more than I was pissed Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Christos 7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped getting made a long time ago. Wink

Let them bash us.... we know what the truth is, we know the situation. IMO, this is going to be one of the best Olympics ever. Watch all of this crap they are saying, which btw seems to be the "cool" thing to do, without any facts (or at least half truths), turn to praise once it all gets underway. Let them have their time. I have no doubt this is going to be an unforgettable Olympics, filled with glory and prestige, and also a good deal of Greek and Olympic history sprinkled about. No other country can ever do that. Wink Nothing people say, will effect what we will do this summer. Despite what some fag from SF says. Wink
ael
Stadium Expert
Stadium Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as it is written in the greek section of the forum,that newspaper sells about 500000 copies every day...considering that,i think that we have some serious reasons to worry about: just imagine 4-5 reporters like that idiot,writing anything they want about the Olympics...we are talking about a huge number of people who will get affected by these groundless bullshits... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Christos 7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but once the Olympics start and they are watching the games take place, in a beautiful country, in a changed city, in the birthplace of the Olympics, with very nice stadiums, venues and facilities, all of the crap people rite now will be forgotton. Wink It's up to us and those in charge to shape the image of Ellada for a long time to come.
Gocaps75

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't believe this guy. It is really almost funny. But the fact of the matter is that people are going to believe this. Some people are going to watch the Olympics already having a bad idea of the 2004 games that they will jump on Athens about the smallest mistake. I hate to break it to you guys but some peoples minds are already made up.
UWG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wwwaaaaooooo....
By far that article takes the cake...that is the most negative article I have read from all the negative articles out there..."unbelievable" that’s all I can say
AEK Australia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just goes to show that some people in America are so narrow minded and have no idea how the world turns without them. They think there is only one way, "their way" It just makes me want to remind them that 500 years ago their country didnt even exist. And the world was doing just fine. I also dont appreciate the errors in their reports, it's so agravating. If it's something they are doing they talk it up and cover any issues, but if it's someone else, then let's make sure the world knows true or not that we could be doing it better. I know it's not all Americans but it does upset me.
Christos 7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed him and gave him a piece of my mind, along with a few others I know did (from www.greeksoccer.com ) We are pretty pissed. I urge you guys to do the same if you like.
AEK Australia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im doing it right now, thanks mate.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have replied to that piece of shit, and told him he should have been in tower 2 on 9/11. I also told the yank that he is not welcome in Athens, and the cunt shouldn't bother going
Athens^2004
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted as Guest, and registered afterwards. I am therefore new but have been following the forum for more than a year now. God I can't wait for the yank's reply, but i doubt he will
ael
Stadium Expert
Stadium Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Athens^2004:nice one mate Very Happy Very Happy if you have a look in the Greek section you'll find out that a lot of people have send e-mails to that faggot and his editor...but still no replies... Evil or Very Mad
ael
Stadium Expert
Stadium Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally,the idiot gave an answer to our e-mails(probably his editor kicked his smart ass Wink )here is his reply:
To: ted@laliotis.org
Cc: Ostler, Scott
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 10:47 PM
Subject: letter from Scott Ostler

Mr. Ted Laliotis
President, Hellenic Federation of Northern California
April 6, 2004
Dear Mr. Lal iotis:
Thank you for the letter you sent to the editors and executive managers of my newspaper regarding my column of last Monday.
I appreciate you taking the time to express your opinions.
Before expressing my regret that the column caused so much ill will, I would like to make two points.
I am unclear on what you refer to by "hearsay inaccuracies." The only real facts I presented were that the swim stadium roof had been scrapped, and that 8 of the 12 venues, on a map published in a newspaper over the weekend, were not completed.
Your charge of "ethnic hatred" seems unfounded. If it is ethnic hatred to express the opinion that the host city for an Olympic Games seems not well prepared, then how to explain similar columns I wrote about Olympic Games in Atlanta and Salt Lake City? I accept that you feel the column was in bad taste, the humor was poor and the intent malicious. The charge of ethnic hatred! is a strong one, and if you wish to discuss it further by arranging a meeting with any editors and executive managers at the Chronicle, I will attend and participate in the discussion.
That said, I do regret that my column created so much anger and hatred, as evidenced by many e-mails, mostly from Greeks and Greek-Americans. Creating this animosity was not my aim. I have come to realize that the preparations for the Games, the readiness of the host city, is a very sensitive issue. Though I am certainly not the only media person to express apprehension over the preparations, I see now how one more shot, especially with an attempt at humor, was not well received.
I will bear this in mind when writing future articles about the Athens Olympics. I will strive to be fair and reasonable. I do believe the organizers are doing everything possible to complete an almost impossible task and to ensure a safe and successful Games. When the Olympics are over, I will sit down at this same keyboard and salute the hosts for being not only warm and charming and efficient, but also well-prepared.
Thank you again, sir, for your letter.
Sincerely,
Scott Ostler
San Francisco Chronicle

i'd like to thank Alexander the Great,our guest from S.F.for sending us this e-mail.cheers mate Wink Smile
Nekka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Ostler's mate?

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/8424480.htm?1c

"Everybody knows the Summer Olympics in Athens will be a mess at best, or a disaster at worst."
Ian Brown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: "One-stop-shop” service for media professiona Reply with quote

On the occasion of the Athens 2004 Olympic Games, the Greek Government introduces the “Media Services for the Olympic Games” website at www.mediainfo2004.gr

This website subscribes to the idea of a “one-stop-shop” service for media professionals who wish to cover contemporary Greece before and during the Olympic Games.

The site provides news, events, and links about Greece and the Athens 2004 Olympics. Moreover, it provides useful information about "Zappeion Press Centre" in downtown Athens, set up to accommodate international media.

Arrow Please forward this info to friends and coleagues!! Razz
Gocaps75

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you guys like this one. Mad

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40001-2004Apr24.html
Gocaps75

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Greece puts on a great Olympics this summer we will have the last laugh. Twisted Evil
ZORBAS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Αν το διάβασε κανεις, με λίγα λόγια, καλο η όχι Question , γιατί δεν πρόκειται να κάνω register με την εν-λόγο εφημερίδα. Κατανοητό αν δεν θέλετε να χάσετε χρόνο εξ-αιτίας της παραξενιάς μου Mr. Green

Apologies to English speaking members and guests. Embarassed Could anyone enlighten me as to the content of the above as I am not going to bother to register with the washington-post. Many Thanks...
Gocaps75

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympian Athens, Stuck Between Alpha and Omega

By Russ Baker
Special to The Washington Post
Sunday, April 25, 2004; Page D01

ATHENS -- Worriers cite terrorists, construction delays, traffic chaos and other mega-problems as potential obstacles for the Summer Olympics. But if the gargantuan Athens Games go down the tubes, it might just be on account of the little things that won't. Ladies and gentlemen, please bear with us as we address the prosaic matter of plumbing.

Greece is unlike Northern Europe, North America and Australia in many, often charming ways. That's why it remains one of the world's top tourist destinations. But not all of those ways are quite so endearing. For example, while most of the developed world flushes used toilet tissue, in Greece it is typically placed in a waste receptacle next to the toilet.

That unintentionally ecological approach, however, will be a surprise to many visitors, if a recent unscientific survey is any indication. Although warnings are not unknown (one restaurant posted a sign depicting a grimacing toilet and the admonition "Do not place Papper in the Toilette"), most establishments seem not to have considered this potential disaster, with just four months and counting before the opening ceremonies. That means millions and millions of ill-advised flushes, and untold consequences to Athens's ancient pipes, which, if not as old as the Acropolis, are still badly in need of modernization. How this will play out, especially given the frequency with which Americans and other prodigal consumers already clog more modern equipment through wasteful practices, is one big unknown.

If going is a challenge, so is coming and going. The same street name can be found in multiple places in Athens, with some incarnations no more than a couple of blocks long. Don't count on cabbies to be helpful -- often they have no idea, and even if they do, very few speak another language. (On the other hand, most taxis are gleamingly new and blissfully inexpensive.) Greeks are always glad to give directions, though they pride themselves more on their willingness to help than on their willingness to admit they have no idea how to get somewhere.

Hair dryer fans might note the questionable ability of the electrical grid to handle huge numbers of gadget-happy visitors. Add to this the air-conditioning pressures of August -- which, thanks to global warming, is trending even hotter and wetter than in typically unbearable summers of Athens past.

The sorts of peripheral disasters waiting to happen only compound the challenges facing the official event. Although many sporting facilities, a new airport and spacious highways have been built, a lot of effort has gone into cosmetic efforts with mainly propaganda value -- exhibits, signs, depictions of the ancient games. As a result, work has been completed on fewer than half of the competition facilities, a topic of frequent discussion in the Greek media.

"Greeks are famous for procrastinating as long as possible, and then rushing frantically at the last minute," says Costis Chlouverakis, a physician and writer. "The Olympics were announced in 1997, but they didn't do anything for years. Of course they are not ready."

A favorite joke circulating on the Internet shows the Greeks half-ready for the 2004 games and the Chinese already done for 2008. Even the Athens city Web site remains "under construction."

Outside the Olympic venues, the city seems an odd mix of frenetic remodeling and indifference. A week spent walking and driving through Athens revealed the kind of chaos and lackadaisical fix-it projects that have long characterized the city. For every stylish new boîte that has opened, one sees dozens of properties where work appears to have barely begun. Many proprietors of hotels, restaurants and the like appear to have only recently realized the profit potential of 1.4 million visitors. The city hasn't had major hotel construction in ages, though a number of large new hostelries are racing toward completion with good incentive: Prices for superior-quality rooms will average a little under $1,000 a night. The lodging mainstay, hundreds of small hotels, are busy getting face- and wallet-lifts. One little pension with tiny rooms plans to raise its rates from about $60 a night to near $300. And to handle the massive influx, the authorities plan to enlist a number of cruise ships, creating floating hotels.

Some roads appear to be getting their first rejuvenation in 150 years -- unearthing past construction indiscretions. One controversy erupted when a woman noticed the words "Dearly Beloved" on unsettled paving stones. An initial visit to an excavated 5th century street in the heart of the touristic Plaka area near the Acropolis found the pavement littered with a prodigious amount of dog droppings. Five days later, these canine contributions to the city's ambiance remained undisturbed.

Security concerns are clearly paramount, but perhaps the biggest challenge of all will be simple communication. The term "it's all Greek to me" was coined for a reason. Many signs use only the Greek alphabet. Spoken and nodded Greek can be confusing, too, for the uninitiated. For example, the word for "yes," ne, sounds a lot like its opposite, and the word for "no," okhee, sounds a lot like "okay." Lifting the head vertically, something like American culture's affirmative nod, is their "no."

Something like our wave goodbye is their "come here," and what looks like "come here" is actually goodbye.

If Athens is not quite ready for the Olympics, the people of Athens certainly are -- ready to evacuate, that is. Athenians, who never need much excuse to escape their overcrowded, foliage-deficient city for the beauty and tranquillity of the Greek islands, may not stick around to enjoy this latest incarnation of the quadrennial sporting spectacle that their ancestors created. "We're all leaving a month before the Games, and returning a month after," says Michalis Papayiannakis, a member of the European Parliament.

Well, not everyone. When authorities announced openings for 42,000 Olympics "volunteers," 160,000 people applied -- many of them Greeks. Even so, one local skeptic warned, "Check how many actually show up. Greeks are not volunteers. We have an expression, 'You can get free cheese only in the mousetrap.' "

Despite all the problems, it's too early to write off the Athens Olympics as a disaster in the making. For all their tendencies to procrastination, the worry-bead-twirling Greeks can be resourceful in a pinch. Before the World Athletic Championship in 1997, authorities envisioned a soothing display of greenery outside the airport to welcome arriving tourists. But trucked-in pine trees did not get planted; half died in the parching heat, half were apparently taken home by airport staff. With one month remaining before the event, staff frantically began sowing flowers and watering them with great diligence. What the crowds saw on their arrival was a beautiful garden that looked as though it had been there forever.

"You see," says one typically philosophical Athenian, "we're magicians here."

© 2004 The Washington Post Company
ZORBAS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Καλά, κατάλαβα...Ο ξάδερφος του ostler το γράψε,

I've heard it all before, Yawn

P.S Thanks Gocaps75!
apelpisiakos

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe there are still people out there who talk about drachmas in Greece!!!! Smile

That's what this moron states somewhere in the article.....

I hipe all these idiots come to Greece full of drachmas this summer, then the only thing they can be will be a good laugh at them....LOL

Tha psofisete ths peinas Amerikanakia...... vrastes draxmes tha trote epi 2,5 vdomades.......

Alitheia afth h m..ia to "falafel" pou leei oti tha agorasei na faei kserei kaneis ti einai???? Giati ego 15xronia sthn athina pote den to xo akousei.....
Avon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we'll just have to wait and see. In my opinion the Olympics are going to be great but we always have to be prepared for the worst...
CheeseburgerParadise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know whether to post this up here on in another section.
Is it negative publicity or stark reality?

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/20/sports/othersports/20ticket.html?ex=1091073600&en=d747237a4dd42cf5&ei=5006&partner=ALTAVISTA1
Nikos C.
Stadium Expert
Stadium Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the one hand, it's pretty descriptive.

On the other, Anthee could have written a couple of positive stories about Athens. They are there you know. Rolling Eyes

Perhaps then, we wouldn't be talking about poor ticket sales.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    stadia.gr/forum Forum Index -> General English forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: